Pages

20 August 2013

The Gap Year


As you might know (if you've visited my blog just once within this month) I've just kicked of my gap year - I did that by going interrailing (read about that here, here, here, here, and here). Even though that was absolutely great my wanderlust isn't satisfied just yet. Therefore I have taken on me to visit a part of the world I've never even been near: Eastern Asia (and possibly more...)!! So yesterday I went to speak with a travel agency about my upcoming travels. For the past year (yes, I've been looking forward to this for a very long time) I've come up with a few ideas myself but wanted to get an "expert"'s perspective on what I can do within reason and because this is my first ever solo trip. As someone who loves to travel, I had plenty of countries I'd like to visit - though, knowing that of course I couldn't visit all of those in just a few months - those being: Vietnam, India, Sri Lanka, Peru, Burma, Thailand, Uganda, Israel.. the list goes on. So I told the travel consultant the ideas I had, and after an hour we had a plan that looked something like this:
India (2-4 weeks) - Thailand (1 month) - Vietnam (1 month)
map
Though, I might know someone who'll be in Vietnam sometime in January (which is probably when I'll start my trip), and therefore do the route backwards. According to the travel consultant that might be hard, as India is very though country to experience mentally, but I got the idea that she thought I was somewhat of a wimp who had absolutely no travel experience and spends her time tanning by the pool side. That's not really the kind of person I am and I'm really up for some new adventures and impressions! Bring it on!
This being said, I know that it can (and most likely: will) be mentally challenging - especially because I've chose to travel alone. But right now there's only excitement (in spite of the tickets not even being bought yet), and I can't wait to get on my feet and explore a part of the world I've never experienced before!



If you've visited any of the countries, I'd love to hear about it!

8 comments:

  1. I think you're gonna have a freaking awesome time during your travels. And all the countries you'll be visiting are the ones that would interest me the most too :). Make sure you keep us all updated :)!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I'm insanely excited! And I'll definitely try to write here as much as possibly. After all, that is why I originally created this blog. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Love those photo quotes!!! I'm so jealous of your travels. I hope you'll have a chance and stop by my blog. All about Beauty. Life. and DIY. If you ever have an OTD, LOTD, hair or nail tutorial, or a fun fashion DIY, I'd love for you to share it at "That's my Style" Link party every Friday. Don't have anything to share? Stop by anyway for beauty tutorial and fun DIY projects. Hope to see you there. :)

    Karla @ www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found them in one of my travel magazines. And I'm headed over to your blog right now. ;-)

      Delete
  3. That sounds absolutely amazing! Traveling is without a doubt the best investment one can make. I've soon been to 60 countries (and spent a LOT of money), and I would do it all again in a heartbeat! I haven't been to Vietnam yet, but Thailand and India are both spectacular. It will be a shock to your senses, but you'll have an awesome time!

    Let me know if there's anything you're wondering about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree - I'd rather spend money on travelling than so much else. I can't wait to go, and I might write to you some time. :-)

      Delete
  4. Good for you, Laura! I'm sure it will be an amazing trip.
    And you really inspired me to try interrailing. Hopefully I'll do that next year.

    Sandra/reisedagboka.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! And if you even consider interrailing I think you should do it - it's amazing! :-)

      Delete

Hey you! Thanks for stopping by! x