Pages

16 August 2014

Egypt: Smile, it's Contagious

Back in June I spent a little week in Hurghada lounging about in the sun.
I'm not always carrying around my backpack on travels and this one was definitely a suitcase kind of vacation! I've already covered the pyramids, the Valley of the Kings, and the Karnak Temple, and since I was just staying for 7 days my main concern was how tan I could get before going back home.

After having spent the majority of the two first days at my friend's newly opened bar, enjoying cheaper versions of Pina Coladas and Mojitos, my mum and aunt came to join me for the remainder of the week. The new company didn't change much of my routine as they simply just joined in: waking up late, going to the beach, alternating between tanning and swimming, going out for dinner, and then spending the remainder of the day and a couple of early hours from the next day enjoying some drinks.

While that doesn't sound like anything you have to travel 5 hours south to do, Egypt just have a special place in my heart.
My mum likes to say that I grew up in Egypt as we've been there at least once a year since I was 11 or 12, and so I've definitely come to terms with the Egyptian way of life from a young age. The 'wake-up-late-stay-up-late'-attitude is definitely one I can understand, as well as how everything just seems a little less rule-bound.

It's so nice getting a little Egypt-fix once a year, and it was a lovely break to my home away from home.


 

1 comment:

  1. Hurghada is one of my favorite cities in Egypt. It is a major destination for tourists. It is located on the Red Sea Coast. Once in my life I visited it after my bus tours to niagara from nyc. There I saw its many attractions such as Shadwan, Red Sea Aquarium, Jungle Aqua Park, Anfish Mountain, El Gouna Stadium, Gebel, Abu Dukhan, Under Water Gardens and Marine Biology Museum. I enjoyed my trip very much and I am sure you have also spent a great time there.

    ReplyDelete

Hey you! Thanks for stopping by! x