Pages

17 November 2014

THIEVES In Rome

Now I won't call myself naive but I definitely assume that people are kind hearted, so I'm never the first to realize if they're playing tricks.

I have a friend who just got back from a small trip to Rome, and one of the first things she said to me when she came back was: "I'm never going back!"
She had felt unsafe and like she'd constantly had to be on guard and watch her stuff at all times because she was afraid of tourist scams and thieves.

I was in Rome a while ago as well so I tried to think back to how I'd experienced it.
Obviously you'll have to watch your stuff and maybe not flaunt around your most expensive stuff, but that's definitely not exclusively Rome, and I didn't feel unsafe there at all.

Although there actually was one incident in the 3,5 days I was visiting, I suppose...

I was there with my mum and one day we decided to take the metro - because why not? It was extremely crowded, so we were literally leaning against whoever happened to be standing next to us. At one stop even more people were pouring in (I haven't got a clue how they managed to fit in there). We were standing pretty close to the doors and this girl (I'm guessing she was around 11) was basically leaning against my stomach, and I'm not noticing anything but suddenly my mum has grabbed her arm and yanked her away because apparently her fingers were on the zipper to my bag.

The girl didn't speak English but she acted confused for a few seconds before darting towards the doors of the (still moving) train where she was frantically pushing the 'open' button. We didn't do anything, and as soon as the trains came to a hold and the doors opened she was gone.

2 comments:

  1. Reply: Det var SÅ magisk (Lys festival i Thailand)! Hvis du vælger at tage afsted, så vil jeg helt klart anbefale, at du prøver at finde frem til de steder, hvor de sender lanterne op på én gang. Kan kun forestille mig, hvilket vidunderligt smukt syn det må være :-D

    Hold da op, kan se at du også selv har været ude og vælte dig i verdenen. Spændende. Hvor længe har du været afsted og hvor længe bliver du ved? Jeg håber du nyder livet som backpacker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I love Rome! I think it's amazing how the history and the modern things parallel each other perfectly. Amazing city! Would you like to follow each other on GFC?! Let me know and follow me on my blog, I will follow you right back on both GFC and Bloglovin!
    xx
    Annie
    www.the-lostangeles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey you! Thanks for stopping by! x